Provincial Graduation Assessments
The BC Graduation Program includes three provincial assessments in the areas of Numeracy and Literacy. These assessments are prepared by the BC Ministry of Education and must be written by all students as a part of their graduation requirements. The assessments required for graduation will vary slightly depending on students' current grade level.
This year, graduation assessments will be written at Cambie Secondary School on the following dates:
- Graduation Literacy Assessment 10 for all grade 10 students on November 2, 2023
- Graduation Literacy Assessment 12 for all grade 12 students on January 16, 2024
- Graduation Numeracy Assessment 10 for all grade 10 students on April 16, 2024
Here are some important things to know about these assessments:
- All three assessments are requirements for graduation.
- Students are assessed on a four point proficiency scale: Emerging, Developing, Proficient and Extending.
- There is no “pass” or “fail” – students must write the assessments in order to meet the BC graduation requirements. Students will have up to two chances to rewrite these assessments on future dates, to be determined by the Ministry of Education. Please speak with your school counsellor or see Ms. Hui if you are interested in rewriting an assessment.
- Assessment results are not blended with any subject as was the case with past provincial examinations. The results stand alone on the student’s transcript.
HOW SHOULD STUDENTS PREPARE?
As the content of the assessments is drawn from multiple subject areas, our approach includes having different subject area teachers prepare students. Numeracy and Literacy skills have been embedded throughout the curriculum in all subject areas on an ongoing basis.
To find out more, including a sample Assessments, students can visit:
We strongly encourage our students to visit the websites listed above to watch the associated videos and take the sample assessment.